Russell Crowe is on point on twitter
Yup, he went on a bit of a rant yesterday, and I sat back and stared in wonder.
I quite love it when he does that.
He sure is one of my favourite people on twitter.
But here’s the thing: when he first joined twitter, his fans were very excited. “Yay, now we will get his original, uncensored, unchanged thoughts and feelings.” And they did. But for some, it just may have been more than they bargained for.
For, right from the start he didn’t present himself on twitter the way they had expected him to. Or, to put it more accurately: the reality of him didn’t match the image they had of him. Funny that, isn’t it? Some fans got very upset with him. “Why would he post this? Why would he post that? Why would he react this way? Why would he react that way? Why would he respond to this person, but not to that person?” They would obsess over and scrutinize and over-analyse his every utterance. The widely spread and accepted accusation was that “he can’t handle twitter. He’s acting so differently on here. It’s a bad medium for him. He ought to stay away from it.”
Then it got even better. Some fans started berating him on twitter for what he would say. To his face. They thought they could dictate to him how to behave. They thought they could control what he would tweet. They thought they could make him fit the image they had had of him for years, before there was such direct and immediate access to his thoughts, feelings and opinions. They thought they could get back Maximus, when all there really was was Russell.
Russell would tell them to sod off. If they persisted, and most of them did, then he would block them. Imagine that. Russell Crowe using the block button to get rid of people that annoy him on twitter. Therefor using it the way it had been intended.
Oh, but now those fans got REALLY upset with him. How dare he? They were long-time fans and supporters of him, how dare he be so unthankful and inconsiderate? How dare he block them instead of putting up with them? How dare he block annoying and hateful tweeters instead of wading through their messages every day?
Quite a few of them got turned off of him as a result. They would gather on special message boards for the “thinking fans” to lick their wounds. Of course, Russell blocking them on twitter had absolutely nothing to do with them being turned off of him. Oh no, of course not. Why would you ever think that? It was all about finding out via twitter that he was a bad person. That he was unfit to handle himself in public, in a conversation, in a discussion….that he was basically unfit to handle his life. That he was not how they had always thought him to be. And how dare he do that?
Yes, how dare he. Wanna know the sad part about this? We are not talking about teen-aged fangirls here. We are talking about grown women of my age, some of them even older…women with families of their own, with full lives, educated, intelligent women. They had been fans for years of someone that they knew was a complex, even complicated man. They knew that he doesn’t suffer fools gladly, that he doesn’t take shit from anybody, that he can be edgy, prickly, dismissive and contemptuous, that he is opinionated and will let you know when you’ve pissed him off. They had seen many examples over the years, and it had always been one of the things that appealed to them the most, because it made him so “un-Hollywood-like”.
And yet, when faced with the reality of him vs. their image of him, they acted all butthurt.
And all I could do was sit here open-mouthed, watching it all unfold. I guess it became quite clear that it wasn’t Russell who couldn’t handle twitter, but that it was them who couldn’t handle Russell on twitter. And it wasn’t because Russell was suddenly acting differently. As always, what you see with Russell is what you get. What you get on twitter is 100% Russell, and if you had payed any attention to him over the years, you had to know what to expect.
So yeah, this has, rather unexpectedly, turned into a rant, and I’m not quite sure what the conclusion of all of this could be, other than: be careful what you wish for. Direct, unfettered access to your celeb crush on twitter could turn out to be not what you had expected. Not because they are suddenly acting like an ass, but because you are suddenly acting like a woman scorned.
To speak with Jack Nicholson: “You can’t handle the truth!”
Photoset with 154 notes
I had vowed to myself to stay out of this………but I don’t think anybody could ever accuse me of being wise this way. So here goes.
Something as well-intended and important (to all the people that receive help from Unicef around the world, but right now the people of Guinea in particular) as Tom’s trip with Unicef has, quite inexplicably to me, caused discord in the fandom and yet more fan shaming in all directions. Are you all quite serious? And I’m not even talking about the fact that some people have apparently started to dislike Tom because of it. Even more mind-boggling to me, but further proof that some people just can’t take anything at face-value and always have to search for ulterior motives.
I’ve read so many posts by now going back and forth on the subject…I’ve decided against reblogging any of them to add my comments, I’ll just address some of the issues in this way.
These are just my opinions. If you send me hate over it, your message will land in the trash bin the moment it pops up in my inbox.
1. Tom only did it for the publicity. Yes, that’s quite true…for Unicef’s publicity. Of course we all have to acknowledge the fact that this trip brought himself publicity, too, but he knew that. And he knew that he would be criticized for it. Comes with the territory. And yet he went…because he also knew that this trip would bring even more attention to Unicef. And it did. Mission accomplished. What does it matter, if some people only now, through Tom, became aware that an organisation like Unicef even exists? Or what some of the issues are that they tackle? Does it make my eyebrows rise? Do I ask myself under which rock they have lived so far? Of course it does. But NOW they know. NOW they care. They have been shaken out of their little bubble. Of course, knowing how fickle fandoms and individual fans are, for most of them their interest for Unicef will wane again…but if there are only two people that will continue to support organisations like Unicef as a result of Tom’s trip, then all is good in my book. Let’s keep an eye on the bigger picture, shall we? That is, of course, raising awareness for all the very pressing issues that need to be addressed in this world, as well as highlighting an organisation like Unicef. (If Unicef isn’t your cup of tea, then fine, find another charity to support.) I would say that Tom definitely accomplished that. Further, Tom’s involvement with Unicef and this trip has opened people’s pockets….and will continue to do so. I think that this should be the most important result of this trip, not the question of who did what for whose publicity. That just sounds incredibly petty in my ears.
2. Why was Luke with him? Why did he bring his publicist? That has to be proof that it was just a publicity stunt. Think again. Read again what Tom wrote. Not once has Tom called Luke “my publicist” in his diary entries. Instead he made it a point to call him “my friend”. The implications of this statement for their professional relationship are another matter entirely and shall not be discussed here. He also says that it was Luke who a year ago introduced him to Louise O’Shea from Unicef UK. Now, I don’t know how many of you have already been around a year ago, but in January 2012 Tom didn’t tweet about Unicef. Or any charity, for that matter. That only started to happen as the year went on and is, in my view, a reflection of his growing interest and support of Unicef…and his growing awareness that he might actually have an audience that would listen, that he might actually have some influence. All the fan-driven fundraisers that almost immediately started to pop up should have been his confirmation. So what is Luke’s role in all of this? He probably knew Louise O’Shea, because they are both in the PR business. But I also think it’s possible that Luke was a supporter of Unicef before Tom and, learning about or maybe just sensing Tom’s basic interest in their work, established first contact. It all then developed from there. Either way, and I could be completely wrong about this, I have the very strong feeling that Luke wasn’t on this trip in his capacity as Tom’s publicist. I think they were on this trip as friends and supporters of Unicef that wanted to raise awareness for their work. Luke may be a publicist, but he is also a private person, an individual with personal interests. One of them may be Unicef, which may just coincide with the interests of one of his clients. Ever thought of that?
3. Why bring a professional photographer with you? Why not? If you want to use the popularity of one of your celebrity supporters, you need him/her to be seen. And it’s not like they were doing photoshoots in the desert for high-gloss magazines with a whole team of make-up artists, hair stylists etc etc. Of course, this raises the question if the money to hire the photog couldn’t have been better used for the cause at hand. That’s admittedly a tricky one. Yes and no. Bottom line is, however, that as a charity depending on donations you need to be seen. You need people to know that you exist and what you are doing…and where their money would go. Again, you have to keep an eye on the bigger picuter, I guess. Also, I have read that the money for this kind of PR work mostly comes from different sources…and that celeb supporters often pay themselves for these trips. This photog has also worked for Unicef on numerous occasions before…and who knows, maybe he is even giving his time and work for free.
4. This is serious business. The picture of Tom in the red plaid shirt “gazing off into the distance like a model” was inappropriate and misguided, and it was inappropriate and misguided of Unicef UK to post it. How to address this? I think you are all aware that there was/is a “donation game” going on. “If Tom wears this item of clothing on the trip, I will donate 25$, if he wear that item of clothing, I will donate 30$, and another 20$ if he comes back with a beard” and so on and so forth. Unicef UK know about this game (and I assume so does Tom) and they are obviously getting a kick out of it, because have been tweeting about it, and they also tweeted the pic you see above. And you know what? If they don’t have a problem with it and don’t find it inappropriate, then I don’t either. They are the ones directly involved in this work, they are the ones on the front line. I’d rather take their word for what is or is not appropriate than the word of someone sitting on a comfortable couch judging other peope’s hard work. Also, it may raise another couple of hundreds of dollars, and what could be wrong about that? Let’s keep an eye on the bigger picture. I also don’t get why people may think that, while this trip had a very serious cause and I’m sure many many very serious and shocking moments, there couldn’t or shouldn’t have been any fun for this team? Do you seriously believe that they drove around the country for a whole week being utterly depressed and crying all the time? They didn’t, and I’m glad for it. After seeing abject poverty and desperately ill babies for most of the day, I think it’s incredibly important to let off some steam, to laugh and make jokes and just plain alleviate the pressure…even if it’s just a moment of lightness like shooting a pic for a donation game. That doesn’t mean that you are forgetting even for one second why you are there in the first place…..and how absolutely serious and important your “mission” is. It just means that you are trying to keep your sanity.
5. This is serious business. The Blues Brothers picture was inappropriate and misguided, and it was inappropriate and misguided to post it. Get a grip. It’s just a snapshot. They were probably on a break or even meeting with another round of town elders/community authorities. Do you seriously believe that Tom and Luke went “oh, let’s put on our sun glasses and take a cool picture of us pretending to be Blues Brothers”??? It anything, blame the photographer for putting this caption on it (he tweeted the pic, after all)…but before you do this, re-read what I just wrote about finding moments of lightness and fun even on a trip like this. And above all, go and put on some looser fitting pants, Jesus Christ…
6. Hyperbole by fans/fan shaming in all directions. Just stop. All this seperating the fandom into “sane” and “crazy” fans is counter-productive and only furthers antagonism. Yes, there are aspects of this fandom, or actions by individual fans, that repulse me…that shock me, that make me shake my head, that also make me plain angry. Some people just have no filters whatsoever, no self-awareness, no manners…they just seem to run rampant. Poor Tom, indeed. But still, I consider myself a part of this fandom, and I’m tired of having to read over and over again how horrible Tom’s fans are. I’m tired of having to read how the “sane” fans are so much better than the “crazy” ones. I’m tired of having to read from fans that have left this fandom in a huff because it is so horrible…only to return in moments like these to lecture the fandom on how horrible it is…or to turn up on sites like ONTD to bash it. If you have turned your back on the fandom and maybe even Tom, then stay away for good. And if you are still a fan of Tom but don’t want to be associated with the rest of the fandom, then carve out your own little corner of tumblr/the internet, where you only engage with other fans that are on your wavelength, and stay away from the TH tag. Equally, stop putting Tom on a pedestal. Stop gushing over pictures of Tom with babies, when said babies are on the verge of dying. Calm the fuck down and keep perspective. Stop telling fans that are critical of what Tom does that they should fuck off and have no right to tell themselves fans. Learn to try to stay away from drama. Just, everybody chill the fuck out.
Keep one thing in mind about this trip of Tom’s for Unicef: do you believe that people in Guinea or anywhere else in the world that get help from Unicef, that are just trying to survive, care for even one second how this money is being raised? Do you believe they care? Do you believe it even matters? Do you think it’s fair to say “I can’t get behind it, because some celeb is only trying to get publicity” when at the same time children are dying from malnutrition or disease? Do you think they care for these first world problems?
No? Good. Then shut up, let charities like Unicef and their celeb supporters do their work, and donate. And if you don’t feel like donating, then fine, but shup up about that, also.
Why Tom Hiddleston is so awesome? Just see his smile, so honest. Tom might be on vacation enjoying the fame and money, but no, solidarity is first, his collaboration with Unicef is very inspiring for me. Tom is a great person, evidenced by facts, I applaud him. What else can I say that his fans do not know? Tom is the man.
He is not on vacation. He is not enjoying the fame and money. Jesus Christ. He is on a trip for/with Unicef. Do you think it’s a vacation seeing all these malnourished, sick babies and all this poverty??? He is there to learn first-hand about Unicef’s work and support them, NOT to vacation! Damn it all to hell!
To put it quite frankly, many different bloggers in this fandom (the Tom Hiddleston and Loki fandom as well as the Marvel fandom as a whole amongst some others) are upset due to your behavior and the behavior of your following. They have had a poor experience interacting with you and your following and would like you to be aware of it without fear of negative repercussions. So I’m taking it upon myself to address this issue - it wasn’t my idea, I was asked - but I figured I’d take one for the team.
So let’s get started.
(It is lengthy so there is a read more. If you actually care about how your behavior is negatively impacting the online community, you would care to take a look. I can’t make you and I actually don’t expect you to consider anything I say given how you’ve treated others but surprise me)
Oh Lord help us, the tumblr police is out in full force.
GET. OFF. YOUR. FUCKING. HIGH. HORSE.
This has to be the rudest bit of bullshit I have read in a long time. It’s also the silliest.
You don’t like something that tomhiddles posts? Unfollow her. Easy as that. Even if she posts stuff you like. You will just have to pull up your big girl panties and deal with it.
Yes, she made up the text on that gifset where Tom is talking about romanticism. I think that’s an established fact now. So what? As soon as I found out, I deleted the gifset from my blog and have not reblogged it again, even though it turns up on my dash quite regularly. Shippers from all fandoms are taking screencaps and gifsets, twisting and distorting them, often adding false quotes to support their ships…..and you guys are chastising tomhiddles for this? Seriously? Take a long, hard look in the mirror. Making up the text on that gifset was surely not tomhiddles’ brightest idea, but it’s harmless. It’s not her fault that so many people can’t use their common sense and their heads and are so gullible to just believe everything they see on the internet without questioning anything.
And yes, she probably edited and photoshopped the screencaps of that Loki gifset to within an inch of their lives, maybe for the sole purpose of proving her theory about him. But you know what? You don’t agree with her about Loki, fine. Say so and then move on.
Making this kind of stink about something this harmless that someone is posting on their own personal blog is just silly, asinine and pathetic. Tomhiddles is not spouting racist crap. She is not spouting homophobic hate. She is not promoting fascism, misogyny, sexism or any of the really problematic stuff that absolutely would need addressing. The putting false words into Tom’s mouth may be a little problematic, but Jesus Fucking Christ, don’t make an elephant out of a molehill. And other than that, she is posting her opinions about a fictional character. Don’t you think you should have more important things to worry about than that?
People need to think, they need to engage their brains and common sense and stop believing everything they read on the internet. And they need to learn to fucking scroll!
I may not agree with everything tomhiddles writes, but hey, that’s part of life. I can openly disagree with her or remain quiet and move on. But one thing is for certain: I have never seen her act abusive or mean towards any of her followers, I have never seen her bully anyone. She quite often is the target of anon hate, it seems, but she always deals admiringly with it. I think the real issue here is tall-poppy syndrome. She has thousands and thousands of followers, and that inspires envy and jealousy. I don’t think she ever wanted to be “tumblr famous”, and she sure doesn’t act like it. But guess what: even the fact that she has lots of followers and reaches a lot of people doesn’t make her the grey eminence of the TH fandom, and I am sure that she knows that. Do others? Doesn’t seem so to me. People need to stop acting like she is threatening anybody.
Your open letter has to be the most passive-aggressive, pompous, and self-important shit I’ve read in a long time. I can only hope that tomhiddles is self-secure enough to simply laugh it off. If not, then congratulations, you have succeeded in making someone sensitive feel awful. You deserve a fucking medal for that……NOT.
News flash: nobody appointed you as a moderator of tumblr or the internet in general. You are giving yourself airs in a way that is just totally inappropriate. And please stop with the “I’m only doing it for others” crap. If people are too “intimidated” by tomhiddles to deal with her personally and need to hide behind someone like you, then they have to have a good think about themselves. Fight your own battles. And if you don’t have the balls to do it, then leave the field and fucking grow some.
And above all: stop making such a goddamn drama out of everything!
Post with 5 notes
To the people who think she is expressionless even if they are just joking around:
You all be cray cray
Sadly, she is not using any of them in any of her movies. Seeing her try to emote in a scene is causing my physical pain, because it looks like it’s causing her physical pain. “Hmmmmmmmmmmmmpfffffffffffffcomeoutyouhmmmmmmmmmmmhjemmmmmmmmmmmmmsadfacecomeouthmmmmmmmmpffffffffffffffmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - of fuck it’s not working I’ll just go back to my one vapid expression again”
Honey, call yourself what you want, just don’t ever call yourself an actress. It’s an insult to all the fantastic actresses that came before you and they will come after you, once the industry’s inexplicable love story with you has ended.
I mean, could she have looked any more bored and desinterested on the On The Road red carpet at AFI? Thanks for making it so plain and obvious that you couldn’t give a fuck about the movie and your co-stars that worked their asses off, especially Garrett Hedlund and Sam Riley, who poured their hearts and souls into making the movie, while you just tagged along for the ride and ruined any scene you were in.
And your slutty outfit………once again you looked as if just half an hour earlier, you had still been standing at the curb on Sunset Blvd
And don’t even get me started on how she chose a public place to make out with a married man, shitting in the face of her boyfriend.
Jesus, I need to stop or I’ll really say things I may regret later…….
Photoset reblogged from with 13,225 notes
Then you notice that Loki is actually crying in the last gif.
And you notice he’s crying, but do you know why?
Loki has green eyes. In fact, in Thor, Tom Hiddleston had to wear contacts- that’s Loki’s colour. Green. And that’s important. Why?
Because in The Avengers, Tom Hiddleston did not wear contacts.
Tom Hiddleston’s eyes are blue.
Now, why, you may ask, is Tom Hiddleston not wearing contacts in The Avengers? Is it a mistake? No, there is no such thing as a mistake as big as that when it comes to this character. His eyes are blue because he is being possessed, controlled, by the tesseract. Like with every person who’s chest he touched with his staff, he had fallen prey to it’s power.
When Loki let go of his staff and fell into the abyss, where do you think he landed? Happy sunshine land? Of course not. Wherever he was, it was terrible. It broke him. He had to fight, he had to protect himself, he had to become a savage to survive. He fell to a cruel and evil planet, an every-man-for-himself planet, a place where the meaning of the words ‘family’ and ‘love’ were forgotten. And this is where he lived for untold amounts of time. And eventually, one day, someone came looking for a servant. A scapegoat. And they found the broken once-prince of Asgard, something one could no longer call a man, alone and crying dry tears. They said redemption. They said power. They said friendship. And this once-man fell in love with the idea. His honour was returned, his staff, his fighting force and a reason- a reason to do something.
Loki, the once future king of Asgard, wanted only redemption. But he didn’t know the price he would have to pay to get it. In the end, he was merely a marionette puppet, his strings being toyed with by the one person he had learned to trust. The person who had taught him again what love was, what friendship was, and what it meant to be a warrior. But he had been manipulated. Instead of how to love, he had been taught how to hate. And oh, he hated everyone and everything. But above all, deep down, he hated himself.
But he would have redemption.
Because that’s what he really wanted, right? Loki didn’t want to kill, or maim, or destroy- that’s what he wanted. Loki wanted only a father’s love. A brothers companionship. And he had been manipulated into thinking he didn’t have that. But he could rectify his name, if he could prove himself capable, he would be redeemed! His father would be proud of him, his brother would trust him, and he could have that normal life he had always secretly wanted to have.
When he realised this, Loki did something he had not done in days, or months, or years.
He let out a tear.
Because he saw then that, for him, there was no going back. His brother did love him, after all that had happened, Thor wanted only to have his brother back. But Loki had ruined that. He had fallen prey to doubt and greed and judgement. He knew at that moment that he- and only he- had destroyed every good thing he had had, every chance of having the family that ran through his dreams. He saw that by that day, all hope was lost. No matter what Thor said, things would never be the same for the two of them as they had been when they were children. He knew that they had both changed too much and seen to much to ever look at each other the same again. He knew that from that point on, the two could never truly be brothers.
So when Thor said ‘Together,’ Loki cried.
Tom did NOT wear green contacts in Thor. Where did this myth originate? Because in one of the posters they photoshopped his eyes to be green? I searched high and lo last night, but I could find NOT ONE official interview or article about the movie where anything of the sort was mentioned.
Again: Tom did not wear green contacts in Thor.
And Loki is NOT being controlled by the tesseract. In fact, nobody is. If at all, people are being controlled by the scepter that Loki is using to control others. He himself is not being controlled by it. His eyes are blue (because Tom’s eyes are - duh), but they look totally different from Hawkeye’s or Eric’s eyes while they are under the influence of the scepter.
Stop taking gifs and screencaps that were edited, brightened and coloured to the n-th degree as proof!
And stop trying to alleviate Loki from all responsibility for his actions by saying that he was controlled or brainwashed! He was not! He did all of it himself! He was acting of his own free will, no matter how deluded his plan of ruling earth might have been!
He made a very bad deal with someone (Thanos) far more powerful than him, and in that moment on Stark tower he recognized that his whole plan of taking over earth was falling apart and that he was gonna be in deep shit with Thanos for not being able to deliver the tesseract. But even though he was tempted for a millisecond, he could not bring himself to admit defeat to himself or Thor. He could not bring himself to accept help from his brother. The only way for him to get out of this terrible mess his plan had become and safe face was to allow himself to be taken prisoner. It was also the only way to ensure his safety from Thanos, at least for the time being.
Or…..it had been his plan all along to bring the tesseract to Asgard, where the Infinity Gauntlet is…….to make it easier for Thanos to take them both…….who knows with the God of Mischief and Lies?
Page 1 of 2